Friday, October 25, 2013

Finding out more about my 'neighbours' .Part 1.

Animals are all around us-- spiders, lizards, ants, butterflies and more. These animals are usually common and we usually just give them a glance before striding off. Well, don't underestimate these creatures !

For a thing, I live very closely to a forest, by the central catchment area. Thus, monkeys, bats, squirrels and moths don't awe me and my family plus our neighbours as much as others may be. All this while, I barely give these animals a glance. Well, I do love them and observe them from my window but I never really tried to find out what they really can do and their unique abilities. Hence, i have decided to find out a little more about my neighbours!


The Long Tail Macaque

source: thomashoven.com
This group of mammals do irritate us. They sneak into my house, stealing fruits and food! Although they are a nuisance, I want to find out a little more about them...

1. Their population is growing because they have no predators,

2. They have become brave and not afraid of human beings because some people have been feeding them illegally. that is wrong as the monkeys would grow to become ' pampered ' and not search for their own food. Furthurmore, the food those people feed may not be appropriate for the monkeys to feed on.

Rain Flies

source: www.flickr.com
I'm sure most people will know this bunch of insects. They are attracted to light and are quite fragile. I do find them quite annoying when it's dinner time and a million of them decide to make a temporary home in my lights. Most of them would land on the dinner table and most of the time... into my food. 

1. They are short lived flies which come to life during the rains.

2. They normally do not live beyond 24 hours after their metamophorsis into adult flies.

:o

Plantain Squirrels

Source:www.flickr.com
1. they are mostly a solitary animal

2.Threats they face are habitat destruction :(


Thats it for now!
Part 2 coming soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment